CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Urban Radio Stations: I'm calling you out

I carpool to work with my godmother, who loves to listen to her oldies station every morning on 95.9. Personally, I'd prefer to hear something a little more geared toward my generation, but I never say anything out of respect. I listen to the music and every now and again, I find myself bobbing my head.

The main reason that I don't complain though, is because station that she listens to has an early morning talk show (The Tom Joyner Morning Show), which I find that I get a lot of education from, I'm kept in the loop as to what's going on in my country and my community, outside of the lifestyles of the rich and famous. I couldn't care any less if I tried.

What interests me more, is the fact that I do get to hear the political opinions of the hosts as they try and spread a message of how important it is as a community to get out and vote. Raising awareness is very important, so they spend a lot of time giving information about what is going on across the country in regards to voter suppression laws, political changes in the climate that can and will effect us as a community if we refuse to do anything about it, and just generally getting us more involved.

How the hell can I even think of changing to station to listen to some hip hop or R & B? Ignorance is NOT bliss and I refuse to subject my brain to such nonsense (although I love Hip Hop) and ignore what I need to know?



I can honestly say that every single time I've turned the station to either 92Q, WPGC 95.5 or WKYS 93.9, all I've ever gotten as far as current affairs, is bullshit about stars' beef, financial woes, secret relationships, court hearings and arrests. I don't hear about voting or issues with laws, or any other political issues. Unless we are in the week before an election, maybe.

I feel like they are doing a horrible job servicing their community. I don't feel like they are giving out the proper information to keep their listeners educated and aware. And yes, I feel like it's their damn duty. You have a responsibility to promote your community to be the best that they can be, to grow and to do well in life and not just the bling-bling of the music that makes them feel like they have to either rap or sing or be video vixens.

This country is at a critical point where every single vote is going to count and it is your duty to get out the vote because you have a widespread reach to them. I don't want to hear after the fact (IF Romney wins), that we should have gotten out and voted. We should have did more. We should have paid more attention.

I'm telling you now that as a listener of your stations, I am challenging you to do your part in helping your communities grow. I'm challenging you to do more than just run and ad here and there. I'm challenging you to put out just as much political news as you do gossip. I'm challenging you to make your listeners aware of what is going on politically that WILL change their lives if they don't take action. You are a black radio station catering to black listeners in black communities! Stop breeding ignorance and educate!

I'm challenging you to take responsibility.
http://www.92qjams.com/
http://www.kysdc.com/
http://www.wpgc.com/

0 comments: